Saturday, December 8, 2012

Just in Case You Missed It

I'm sure that there were some important world events going on this week. Egypt? Secretary of State nominations? Unemployment rates? I don't know the details on any of these newsworthy topics because the closest I got to reading about the Secretary of State situation was this picture making the rounds on the internets:



About this picture and Secretary Clinton, Christina said:
She's such a force in a room. She's got that star charisma and everything about her. I couldn't take my eyes off her either, so it was mutual...Is that bad? I don't know. Maybe I shouldn't say that! I'm so inappropriate."
Things like this make me believe that the Mayans are right and the world is coming to an end on December 21st. In a struggle to think of something nice to say about this picture, all I can come up with is that Hillary's necklace is pretty and Christina's makeup is fairly tasteful. Otherwise, it's just a big yuck on all levels. 


When I do go on the New York Times website, I go straight to the movie and book reviews. By the way, here's the NYT list of the 10 Best Books of 2012. I have read exactly zero because I only read the reviews, not the actual books. I have to be very strategic with my reading because when I read I ignore my children, husband, housework, and phone calls. I don't think anyone saw me for a couple of days when I was reading "Gone Girl." Such a good book and I hear that Reese Witherspoon is producing the movie. (Spoiler alert!) After seeing Reese (like I know her) play crazy in "Election," I can totally see her as Amy, can't y'all?



Through a link that someone posted on Facebook, I found my second favorite "news" story of the week. It was the exciting unicorn lair story out of North Korea. Seems that the North Korean government issued a press release that some archeologist discovered a "unicorn lair" (which was labeled as such on a boulder) in Pyongyang.


That is one weird-looking winged unicorn. It looks like it was molded out of already-been-chewed Double Bubble and glitter. Sorry, back to North Korea. The country's propaganda machine floats out these fantastic stories all the time to try to bolster the country's image and give the North Korean people more confidence in the government. Yes, nothing shouts governmental stability like unicorn stories. In the past, it has been reported that former leader Kim Jong Il shot a 38 under-par on an 18-hole golf course (which is 25 shots better than the best game in history).  Next thing you know they'll claim that he invented the Arnold Palmer.  Legends surrounding Kim Jong Il's birth include that he was born under a double rainbow and that when he was born the seasons instantly changed from winter to spring.


Basically, the North Korean new agency would have us believe that North Korea is Narnia.

My favorite quasi-news story of the week was in US Weekly (love me some trash magazines) and it was about Anderson Cooper. Because the story has nothing to do with anyone "flaunting" her "bikini body" or "showing off" her "body after baby" or the latest celebrity baby to make its appearance, the story has long since passed into the archives. You can link to it here. All you really need to know is the headline which is, "Anderson Cooper wears the Same Jeans Every Day Washes Them Four Times a Year." Well, maybe you need to know more than that because this tidbit seems to have come up in a conversation between Andy and Stacy London of "What Not to Wear." My take is that he is totally messing with her because of this exchange, described in US:
The "What Not to Wear" co-host argued that "six months is probably a little long" between washes, but to maintain the integrity of your denim, you should wash it in cold water - no soap - and air dry it." Cooper admitted he's washed his jeans "maybe twice in six months." 
"The times I've done it, I've worn them and walked into my shower with them and put some soap on them and then air dried them," he continued. "Isn't that how you are supposed to do it?" When London advised him not to use soap, Cooper seemed confused. "That's not really washing them off, so why even bother."
Do you get the impression that these are a couple of people not on the same page? She's trying to dispense actual advice about caring for your clothes and he's just being contrary to make the point that discussing how to wash jeans is silly and frivolous. I mean, the man's mom is Gloria Vanderbilt. You have to assume he knows how to take care of a pair of jeans.


Hey, look at the rainbow of colors that Glorias come in! Anderson Cooper, born under a rainbow-colored array of his mother's jeans. The North Koreans better get on this story fast before someone thinks that Andy's the rightful leader of North Korea. Happy weekend!


2 comments:

  1. I am in a taxi cracking up. I just love you and your sense of humor. (yes on Reese Witherspoon BTW! Neal and I both were riveted by Gone Girl- loved the male perspective on that one!)

    Did you miss Anderson's temporary blindness??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did hear about Anderson's temporary blindness. That'll teach you to wear sunglasses. I think he burned his retinas or something. Best of luck on your run!

      Delete