Monday, December 10, 2012

Published!

It happened! In the dark of night, somewhere in a Washington, D.C. suburb, the December 10, 2012 issue of USA Today rolled off the presses and I became a published author. Everyone has been so nice and complementary about the column and I just really want to thank you all for taking the time to read my thoughts. You don't know how happy it makes me to hear that something I wrote made you laugh when you were having a bad day. As I keep writing, I am getting more focused on the main purpose and goal of this blog and I think it's just to look at the brighter side of things. Yes, it sucks to have a sick kid and to jump the curb in your minivan, but you can find something, some little kernel of humor in even a sucky situation.

To that point, the Girl is home sick with an ear infection today, so there's been no time to dress up in a beret, striped shirt, and a scarf, and go around acting like a real writer. (Plus, I think that I may be thinking of a how a mime dresses.)



The kids' pediatrician was actually flooded, so we ended up going to the urgent care where I got the strep antibiotic that could have offed me, but luckily did not.  The Girl got four prescriptions that we took to the Publix pharmacy, which gave me a chance to buy a print version of the newspaper. I was so excited to get home and look at the article. Sweetly, the Girl asked me if she could read it. Tickled and thrilled, I proudly opened it up to page 8A and the Girl leaned over the paper:
The Girl: Gah, Mom. I can't even read the first sentence. This is so boring. Is it for grown-ups? Does this paper have comics?
It was truly the perfect reaction. She's not exactly my audience, so that's okay. On the plus side, USA Today has a crossword puzzle that will make you feel like a freaking genius. Thank you again for all the nice comments you've sent me. I really appreciate it!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment