Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Wrapping and Ribbon

I know that you'd think that being home for over two weeks straight with sick children would mean that I was totally finished with my Christmas present wrapping. Not so. Let me show you the current state of affairs here:


If that doesn't make you want to eat an entire jar of Nutella, you have more self-control than I do. I'm going to bed tonight and hope that Abe the Elf will do something other than replace Baby Jesus in our nativity scene:



or rig up a basketball hoop:


I hope he'll wrap all the Christmas gifts! Yes, yes, it seems unlikely to me, too, but I can always dream.

An additional problem is that I may run out of gift wrap and bags because the children have already raided my supplies to "wrap" their gifts. I have to say that I cried a little inside when I saw that instead of using gift tags, the Girl wrote each gift recipient's name in green Sharpie on the outside of the bags so that we can't reuse any of them.

Also, the gifts? Not so desirable. Unless I miss my guess, the Boy will not be that excited about the eight inch Canadian flag (a leftover favor from his birthday party) and the rock that the Baby got him for Christmas. Yes, damn it, I looked in the gift bags. I was so curious about how they could have gotten everyone gifts without leaving the house that I couldn't help myself. Next year I'm totally doing the same thing: I'm just going to walk around the house and start wrapping up random objects for everyone. When next Christmas rolls around and the K gets a back issue of "Southern Living" and a can of soup, that'll be why.

While we're on the subject of wrapping and ribbons, I wanted to share the Facebook post of a sorority sister who lives in in a town near Newtown, Connecticut. She writes, "[w]e thought we would put green ribbons (Newtown school color) around our trees to show our support for our neighbors. We hope we can get this to catch on throughout the country. Please pass it on. For our younger ones we are just telling them we are decorating our trees."


I've got mine.



5 comments:

  1. We have about 10 gifts wrapped under the tree and lying around the house. They are all from Sasha, and they are all from, well, around the house. Sounds like re-gifting is the hot fad with the 10 & under set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell your girls to read my Manners Makeover post.

      Delete
    2. I have to say that I think re-gifting by the children might be preferable to them asking for $20 to buy things for everyone. I am still burned about the bags. I love re-gift bagging. Is that being cheap or being environmentally responsible?

      Delete
  2. Abe looks like he's being held hostage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just sent you a text with a really bad picture of Abe playing pin the nose on Rudolph with one of the Boy's socks on his head as a blindfold. Suffice it to say he looks more like he's waiting for a lynch mob than he looks like he's playing a children's game.

      Delete